29/03/2014

Arrogance or Acknowlegment?



Just now, as in maybe five minutes ago, ten by the time this is actually 'published', I realised how good I am at writing. The way I can think of the perfect word to place into my sentence without needing a thesaurus amazes me. When I read back on my work I'm genuinely surprised about how I could write something as brilliant as I had.

Does that make me arrogant? Me acknowledging my talent in writing? Is it truly arrogance for someone to say "You're so good at writing!" to me and for me to reply "Thanks and I know, I didn't know I had it in me"? I'm I actually being arrogant for believing what other people say about my writing and accepting that actually my writing is pretty good at times.

Why is it that we can not accept and acknowledge our strengths without being classed as a cocky so and so.

So what if a boy knows that he can draw?
Okay so this girl knows that she's amazing at acting.
And yes okay that dude keeps saying "I know" if you tell him he's strong.

But does that make them arrogant? Or does it just mean that they acknowledge their strengths?

When a person gives us a compliment and we say something like "I'm really not- but thanks." we're told to accept the compliment and also feel better about ourselves but as soon as we understand that we're great at something it's like "oh ho ho she's a little arrogant."

Arrogance: having an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities
Acknowledgement: acceptance of the truth or existence of something.

There is a difference and people need to understand that. If me being a good write is the truth and I accept that and acknowledge it- I am not arrogant. It's when I begin to see myself as great, too great in fact and give myself a higher status.

Double standards are an issue in practically everything revolving around modern day society and this is one of them.

Understanding and acknowledging your physical, mental or creative strengths does not make you arrogant. Loving yourself and/or your work does not make you arrogant. Exaggerating your ability to create the sense that you're extremely important makes you arrogant.

This has been a P.S.A
-Minoo

4 comments:

  1. Arrogant and acknowledgement is totally different. I mean you are arrogant when you simply think you are better at everything than everyone. Being acknowledged is just that you know that is one ability that is really good about you while everything else isn't quite as great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D You're always the one to restore my faith in humanity :)

      Delete
  2. EXAGGERATION. It reminds me of an episode in Spongebob Squarepants where Mr. Krabs takes him to a convention for other crabs who are really cheap. At one point in the episode, Mr. Krabs teaches Spongebob about lying, but he words it differently by talking about exaggeration. I always like reading your posts, Minoo. I feel like I'm learning, you know? It's a pretty good feeling when you learn something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you feel like you're learning when you read my posts. There's a warmth in my heart now.

      Delete

Respect The Planet Earth